Navigating Change: End-of-Support for IBM® Sterling B2B Integrator 6.0 and IBM Sterling File Gateway 6.0
January 9, 2024
As we reach the end of 2023 and begin looking to the future, there is an important update on the horizon. IBM® has announced it will be ending support for Sterling Integrator 6.0.x and IBM File Gateway 6.0.x on April 30, 2024.
So, what does this mean for your business and what can you do to prepare? If you’re operating on either of these platforms, you’ll need to decide if you want to upgrade to the current versions of these products or evolve with the times and switch to a different solution entirely. Let’s take a closer look at some of the details surrounding this update and the impact it could have on your business.
The Impact of End-of-Support
End-of-support for the Sterling Integrator 6.0.x and IBM File Gateway 6.0.x platforms means that users will no longer receive official updates, patches, or technical assistance from the vendors. This leaves businesses vulnerable to potential security threats, compliance issues, and functionality gaps. The absence of ongoing support also implies a lack of compatibility with evolving technologies and changing business requirements, hindering growth and adaptability.
Running on unsupported software poses several challenges:
- Vulnerability: Without security patches and updates, systems become vulnerable to cyberattacks and compliance issues. Imagine navigating the ever-changing world of EDI regulations with a rusty sword instead of a gleaming laser beam.
- Limited functionality: Missing out on new features and integrations stifles growth and adaptability. It’s like driving a horse-drawn carriage in the era of autonomous vehicles.
- Inefficiency: Maintaining outdated software is resource-intensive. It’s like trying to squeeze water from a stone – your IT team will be bogged down, diverting focus from strategic initiatives.
What Are Your Options?
Understanding the impact of this ‘end-of-support update’ is helpful for understanding which options to take advantage of as a next step.
IBM Sterling indicated that after April 30, 2024, IBM® Sterling B2B Integrator and IBM® Sterling File Gateway v6.1.x and v6.2.x onwards will be supported. You can upgrade your environment and no mapping changes will be required due to the upgrade. However, IBM Sterling does recommend testing your processes, maps, and end points after upgrading to verify compatibility.
Another option would be to evolve to a new, more robust platform that has the versatility and robustness needed in the supply chain space today. Choosing a cloud-based EDI platform could be a good upgrade for your business, which we will dive into below.
No matter which option you choose, it’s important to consider next steps now so you aren’t caught in a platform without support for your organization.
Embracing Cloud EDI for Unprecedented Scalability
If you plan to evolve to a new platform given this update, it’s also a good time to consider a more robust EDI solution—especially one that integrates with your ERP system.
As businesses continue to embrace cloud technology, the adoption of cloud-based EDI solutions becomes increasingly essential. Cloud-based EDI platforms offer numerous benefits, including:
- Scalability: Cloud EDI allows businesses to scale their operations effortlessly. As transaction volumes grow, the cloud infrastructure ensures that resources are dynamically allocated to accommodate increased demand, without the need for manual intervention.
- Cost-Efficiency: Cloud-based solutions eliminate the need for on-premises infrastructure, reducing capital expenditure and operational costs.
- Global Accessibility: Cloud EDI enables users to access the platform from anywhere with an internet connection. This fosters collaboration among geographically dispersed teams, facilitates remote work, and enhances overall business agility.
Evolve Your Supply Chain with Transaction Manager
Evolve your supply chain seamlessly with TrueCommerce Transaction Manager™, a cutting-edge solution designed to elevate the efficiency and connectivity of your business operations. TrueCommerce Transaction Manager empowers organizations to streamline their supply chain processes by providing a centralized platform for managing transactions. Additionally, this solution integrates with popular ERPs, such as Microsoft Dynamics, NetSuite, Sage and more, to connect and automate all of your ongoing EDI requirements.
With its robust features, this innovative tool ensures real-time visibility into your supply chain, strengthening collaboration and transparency among trading partners. From order processing to invoicing, TrueCommerce Transaction Manager facilitates the seamless exchange of electronic documents, reducing errors and enhancing the overall accuracy of your supply chain transactions.
Embrace the future of supply chain management with TrueCommerce Transaction Manager, and experience the transformative impact it can have on optimizing your business processes and driving sustained growth. Contact us to learn more about this update and explore your options with TrueCommerce!
Share this post:
Stay ahead of the competition
Get expert supply chain insights delivered directly to your inbox weekly.