EDI, which stands for Electronic Data Exchange, is the secure, automated exchange of electronic documents between trading partners using a standardized format that enables computer systems to communicate with each other.
With everything you need to implement EDI, documents flow directly in and out of your accounting or ERP system with little or no human intervention. This accelerates order processing, the pick/pack/ship process, invoicing and other essential supply chain functions.
The main benefit of integrated EDI is that it removes the need to manually retype data which eliminates costly data entry errors. This saves considerable time and money and improves your customers’ experience. An integrated EDI solution not only increases efficiency through automation, it also saves you money on postage, paper, physical document storage and the time it takes to rekey data and handle paper documents.
The advantages and benefits of Electronic Data Interchange
- Improved operational efficiency: Automating the flow of messages with integrated EDI improves the speed and efficiency of your operations by eliminating the need to manually rekey data in multiple systems.
- Fewer errors: By removing manual, paper-based processes the occurrence of human errors is dramatically reduced or even eliminated.
- Increased accuracy: Automated message validation ensures that errors are flagged and rectified before they impact your trading partners and data integrity in your internal systems is maintained.
- Increased return on investment (ROI): Automation through integrated EDI enables you to maximize the benefits of EDI and move beyond simply complying with your customers’ EDI requirements.
- Enhanced visibility: EDI provides full transparency of the ordering and invoicing process for you and your trading partners. This end-to-end visibility enables more informed decisions to be made and ultimately improves the service delivered to consumers.
- Reduced inventory cost: Increased visibility within the supply chain eliminates unknowns and can therefore enable you to reduce the levels of inventory you need to hold.
What is EDI and How Can it Benefit your Company?
Download our beginners guide to learn what EDI is and what benefits manufacturers and
distributors like you can expect by incorporating EDI technology into your business.
- What is an EDI Managed Service
- An EDI Managed Service is the main mechanism that businesses use to outsource their EDI requirements. These arrangements can provide important benefits for those companies without the necessary IT infrastructure to host and operate their own EDI solution.
- When to consider changing your EDI provider?
- There are a number of important factors that should be considered when reviewing your EDI solution, many of these can have a serious impact on business critical processes within your business. With this in mind, it’s important you choose the best solution for your organization.
- How do you choose an EDI provider?
- Because EDI is a complex technical tool we understand that many organizations struggle to know what to look for when profiling a potential EDI partner. To help out, we’ve put together a comprehensive EDI Buyer’s Guide, including the criteria you need to consider before choosing an EDI provider.
EDI Managed Service
An EDI Managed Service is the main mechanism that businesses use to outsource their EDI requirements. These arrangements can provide important benefits for those companies without the necessary IT infrastructure to host and operate their own EDI solution.
Choosing this option removes the need for the customer to invest in skills, processes, hardware, and software. Instead, the EDI provider manages all of the customer’s electronic trading activity, utilizing the latest secure technology and expertise. Typically, a wide range of different managed service packages are available, giving the customer guaranteed service levels at a consistent and predictable cost.
TrueCommerce provides a range of EDI solutions delivered as a fully managed EDI service to meet the requirements of small, emerging, mid-market and enterprise businesses. Find the right EDI integration for your requirements.
You can also contact us for further information on how we can help you maximize the benefits of EDI.